Intercountry adoption, also known as “international adoption,” is the legal process that allows U.S. citizens to become the legal parents of foreign-born children, acquiring all parental rights and responsibilities. The process will also allow the child to immigrate to the United States to join your family and become a U.S. citizen.
The Hague Adoption Convention governs adoption between the United States and the Philippines. Under the rules of this convention, both the U.S. government and the Philippian government must first determine U.S. citizens are eligible for adoption, before an adoption can proceed.
Steps to an Intercountry adoption include:
- Selecting an adoption agency that has been accredited in the United States to perform Hague Convention Adoptions
- Selecting a non-governmental adoption agency in the Philippines that has been approved by the Filipino government
- Matching with a child
- Applying with U.S. Immigration to confirm your child is eligible for adoption
- Adopting your child
- Obtaining travel documents for your child
- Bringing your child to the United States.
The legal team at Ellaine Carr and Associates can help take you through this multi-phase adoption process. We understand the adoption process can be intimidating and overwhelming at times. We are available to help guide you through the process and ensure you are able to bring your child home as quickly as possible. For more information contact our legal team today.